It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Track Variant Excel
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:02 pm 

Hello Everyone,
Quick question about the track variants. How are the variants subtracted in Excel from the final times? Are they converted to FPS and if so how? They appear -14, -9 etc.
Also, do the horses final times in the data files have the variants deducted from them?

Thank You!
TBIRD

Post subject: Re: Track Variant Excel
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

The variant in the raw data is not used as it is. There is a "normal" range of 16 through 19. So, a variant of 15 is 1 variant point fast, and a variant of 20 is 1 variant point slow, etc.. Whatever the variant is adjusted to is then proportionally applied to the 3 segments of the race, FR1, FR2, and FR3. The raw fractional times for those 3 segments are then adjusted by the fractional variant for those segments. Then once the fractional times are fully adjusted, they are then converted to feet per second. So, we end up with adjusted fractional times, and adjusted feet per second velocities.

if you use the JCapper data files the distance of the race, and the 1st call, is adjusted for the run-up distance listed in the raw data. If you use Brisnet files, no adjustment is made for run-up because Brisnet files do not include the run-up distances.

AllDataExcel's YouTube channel (click the "Videos" tab): https://www.youtube.com/user/AllDataExcel/about

Post subject: Re: Track Variant Excel
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:04 pm 

Nicely worded Sir Thank you! So for each 1 point below or above normal is 1/5? That's the murky part for me.
I know these companies have par times for classes and distances.
Until I nose dived into your spreadsheet system and T Bred racing, I never gave much thought to track variants.
I am used to using a tracks' current pace and trot record as a "par". I figure out each horses times by adding/subtracting park outs and lengths behind. There is also a differential in fifths added or subtracted if the time I'm looking at was raced at a higher/lower speed rated track. Compare the last 3 times of each horse to the track record. I had a handicapper show me this many years ago. We called him Long Shot Joe. Guy would hit some big races. He used a similar system for the flats at Saratoga. I guess I should have paid more attention. Thanks again Raybo!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]